Tesla's Elon Musk admits Cybertruck could be a 'flop'

wjskabelund

Jul 11, 2021
Arizona
The reason why I love the Ford F150 Lightning is that it looks like a truck and is functional as a truck. (Not to mention Ford, a quality automaker, will stand behind the quality of the vehicle.) I have never understood the appeal of the Cybertruck because it doesn't look functional like a truck. Interesting article on Elon Musk admitting that the Cybertruck may be a flop for Tesla.

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 7, 2021
ATX
The Cyber Truck is definitely going to be polarizing! I do like the fact that it is so different than everything else. I think it's great that someone is pushing the limits of design as it will only lead to more creativity and ingenuity by all the manufacturers.

MacMike

Jun 18, 2021
Texas
The CT will not be a flop. It has over a million pre-orders on the books so it's already making Tesla money. Most pickups are not used for work purposes so the CT will fit right in. Fleet buyers or contractors will not be interested in the CT and Tesla is not after that group. Bottom line: the CT and Lightning will both be hot sellers and the Lightning will be first to market between the two most likely.

firefight04

Jun 26, 2021
Chicago
The CT will not be a flop. It has over a million pre-orders on the books so it's already making Tesla money. Most pickups are not used for work purposes so the CT will fit right in. Fleet buyers or contractors will not be interested in the CT and Tesla is not after that group. Bottom line: the CT and Lightning will both be hot sellers and the Lightning will be first to market between the two most likely.
Maybe they have been cancelled? Why would he make such statement then?

corradoborg

Jun 13, 2021
Santa Cruz, CA
Maybe they have been cancelled? Why would he make such statement then?
He didn’t say it because he’s losing orders. He said it because it’s a true statement about every new product ever developed. Any number of things could happen before the CT gets to market that cause it to flop. It could not perform as Musk said it would. The forecast pricing could go way up due to skyrocketing materials costs. Tesla has long had issues with fit & finish which could be exacerbated by working with the new stainless steel body panels. Or it could be something nobody thought of.
Tesla has enough ride or die fans that I don’t think the CT will flop. But it’s always possible.

ETA: the F-150 Lightning could flop too. Anything’s possible. But Ford has a ton of experience building trucks that have long been the most popular vehicle in the US, so I highly doubt that will happen.

Don weller

I don't know where to put this so I'll put in here. I just read an article someone wrote about the cyberpunk will eat ford's lunch. I don't think so first off it's the ugliest thing I have ever seen. I can't see it being a work truck that would work well for people in construction, secondly it may never get built, musk has now put itoff till 2023. The dam article just ticked me off. My opinion is that the majority of people who buy ford trucks won't be buying that but ugly thing

MacMike

Jun 18, 2021
Texas
I don't know where to put this so I'll put in here. I just read an article someone wrote about the cyberpunk will eat ford's lunch. I don't think so first off it's the ugliest thing I have ever seen. I can't see it being a work truck that would work well for people in construction, secondly it may never get built, musk has now put itoff till 2023. The dam article just ticked me off. My opinion is that the majority of people who buy ford trucks won't be buying that but ugly thing
We all know that saying about opinions. Tesla has delayed production to next year not 2023 ( https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a37258128/tesla-cybertruck-production-delayed/ ). Rivian might be the first BEV pick-up out as first deliveries are schedule for September. I'm sure Tesla did not design the CT to be marketed to the construction industry. I have my reservation for the Lightning but the CT would be my second choice before the Silverado and Ram. We also must remember if not for Elon and Tesla the EV market would not be growing as fast as it is.

Don weller

Yah I know about options haha. I have been driving electric for 9year I've had chevy volts, best dam car gm built in a long time it was also the best secret gm ever had by that I mean they didn't try to sell that car what a shame. For me I am sold on electric. Terrific mode of transportation.

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 7, 2021
ATX
It's good for the Lightning that Tesla pushed the Cyber Truck back. I think more people will jump over to the Lightning in the meantime. The only thing I worry about now is if Ford will be able to keep up with the demand if they can actually produce the Lightning as soon as they are saying.

Cosmacelf

Sep 22, 2021
San Diego, CA
It's good for the Lightning that Tesla pushed the Cyber Truck back. I think more people will jump over to the Lightning in the meantime. The only thing I worry about now is if Ford will be able to keep up with the demand if they can actually produce the Lightning as soon as they are saying.

Exactly. I hope Ford has secured a lot of battery cells, because sales of this truck will be strong. I expect a long waiting list. Anyone who is thinking of getting one should put in a reservation now.

The Cybertruck and the Rivian R1T will also do well. Plenty of room for everyone.