F150 Lightning Pro! The $39k Model - Walkaround and Test Drive!

wired

Ford Lightning Forum
Staff member
May 21, 2021
USA

In this video, Town and Country TV does a walkaround of the 2022 Ford F150 Lightning. This is a very early pre-production model of the F-150 Lightning but gives us a good idea of the features that will be included in this truck. It is designed for aerodynamics and has an impressive battery life. The Lightning F150 has a set of independent rear suspensions which is something we have never seen on an F-150. On the inside, the Lightning is equipped with vinyl seating and technology to know exactly how far you can travel on a single charge. Ford took us for a test drive and we were blown away by the power of this truck!

Hersbird

Aug 29, 2021
MT
Those wheels look better than the 20's. That smaller screen and real knobs look better than the XLT. The price looks much better than the XLT. I wonder if at least PW, PW, Cruise, tilt, Keyless entry, and A/C is standard because that's all I want. $40,000 for me. I saw a pick of the black pro and it looks really good, black grill and bumper insert, and part black wheels.

corradoborg

Jun 13, 2021
Santa Cruz, CA
Those wheels look better than the 20's. That smaller screen and real knobs look better than the XLT. The price looks much better than the XLT. I wonder if at least PW, PW, Cruise, tilt, Keyless entry, and A/C is standard because that's all I want. $40,000 for me. I saw a pick of the black pro and it looks really good, black grill and bumper insert, and part black wheels.
Not trying to talk you into a higher trim, but the XLT also has the smaller screen and physical knobs. Only the Lariat and Platinum have the larger screen.

Chico130s

Jul 8, 2021
VA

In this video, Town and Country TV does a walkaround of the 2022 Ford F150 Lightning. This is a very early pre-production model of the F-150 Lightning but gives us a good idea of the features that will be included in this truck. It is designed for aerodynamics and has an impressive battery life. The Lightning F150 has a set of independent rear suspensions which is something we have never seen on an F-150. On the inside, the Lightning is equipped with vinyl seating and technology to know exactly how far you can travel on a single charge. Ford took us for a test drive and we were blown away by the power of this truck!
I want to know if the rear seats have latches for three car seats. That’s a biggie for me. I can’t seem to find that info anywhere

MacMike

Jun 18, 2021
Texas
I want to know if the rear seats have latches for three car seats. That’s a biggie for me. I can’t seem to find that info anywhere
Car safety seats may be installed with either the vehicle's seat belt or its LATCH (lower anchors and tethers for children) system. LATCH is an attachment system for car safety seats. ... Nearly all passenger vehicles and all car safety seats made on or after September 1, 2002, are equipped to use LATCH. Just go to a Ford dealer and see how many car seats the current F-150 can accommodate.

Erik

Aug 28, 2021
California
I am really curious what would justify the extra $13k (32.5%) for the XLT. For the Maverick the difference between XL and XLT is $2K (10%).

From the list of XLT features announced so far, the only ones that I care about are the 360 camera and the power driver seat the rest seems cosmetic, easy to add myself, or aimed at cold climates.

Also, the XLT adds cloth seats and carpeted floors. I prefer vinyl seats and easy to clean floors.

astricklin123

Aug 29, 2021
Dallas
I am really curious what would justify the extra $13k (32.5%) for the XLT. For the Maverick the difference between XL and XLT is $2K (10%).
Marketing....it looks really good and gets everyone talking about the $40k electric truck. However, Ford knows that in reality a very small percentage of customers are actually going to chose that option. So because of this, Ford slashed the margin on the Pro trim.

Although trim details are subject to change. The Pro trim will not have the interior work surface or the number keypad for locking/unlocking doors. It is also currently unclear what level of keyless entry is included. XLT and above get 'intelligent access' which means you can leave the fob in your bag/pocket and lock/unlock without touching the fob. Pro may or may not have remote buttons on the fob even though it has push button start. The base Jeep Wrangler, you have to unlock with the key into the door lock, but then it has a push button for the ignition.

Then there's the big kicker.... currently Ford says that the Extended range battery is only available on the Pro trim to fleet buyers. Retail customers who want the extra range, extra horsepower, or need to tow between 7701 lbs and 10,000lbs will have to go to the ER battery and therefore the XLT.

This said, Ford is making up for the lack of margin on the Pro trim with the pricing on other trims knowing that at retail, a very small percentage of buyers are going to chose the Pro.

Hersbird

Aug 29, 2021
MT
Well I'm not paying $13,000 for cloth seats and a keypad. My 89 Mercury Sable had that keypad and I never used it once. We have a very base model Ram at work and it has a keyless entry remote, then you have to put the key in the ignition and turn it. No big deal. I doubt if it has power locks and a key fob, they aren't going to make you stick the key in the door. Inbthe base Wrangler you have to because there is no power in the doors at all. No power windows, no power locks, no power mirrors, no wiring in the door at all.

I'm also not paying $10,000 more for another 70 miles on a charge and then having to carry around an extra 200 pounds all the time when 300 days of the year I can get by with 15 miles of range. 50 days with 200 miles, and I only have to figure out those last 15 days but this won't be our only car.

astricklin123

Aug 29, 2021
Dallas
I'm also not paying $10,000 more for another 70 miles on a charge and then having to carry around an extra 200 pounds all the time when 300 days of the year I can get by with 15 miles of range. 50 days with 200 miles, and I only have to figure out those last 15 days but this won't be our only car.
There needs to be more people that realize they don't always need 300miles+

From what I have seen, the ER battery will be a $7000 option on the XLT and above. However, it also comes with the 80amp evse so it's probably more like $5000 for the battery (as on the mach-e) and the $2000 for the evse.

Hersbird

Aug 29, 2021
MT
They should really separate the 80 amp charger especially if it's $2000. Lots and lots of buyers will not be able to install a new 100 amp hardwired service on their property. Mainly anyone who rents or lives in a condo or townhouse. That's a bunch of $2000 paper weights sitting around in a box.

astricklin123

Aug 29, 2021
Dallas
They should really separate the 80 amp charger especially if it's $2000. Lots and lots of buyers will not be able to install a new 100 amp hardwired service on their property. Mainly anyone who rents or lives in a condo or townhouse. That's a bunch of $2000 paper weights sitting around in a box.
Disclaimer: $2000 isn't a confirmed price from Ford, just what I was using as an example. Although it seems to be about the market price of an 80amp evse from other manufactures.

Erik

Aug 28, 2021
California
People with extended range batteries that don’t want the 80 amp charger could sell it to people with regular range batteries. I’ll probably get the regular battery, but I would like to buy the 80 amp charger.

Don weller

Well I'm not paying $13,000 for cloth seats and a keypad. My 89 Mercury Sable had that keypad and I never used it once. We have a very base model Ram at work and it has a keyless entry remote, then you have to put the key in the ignition and turn it. No big deal. I doubt if it has power locks and a key fob, they aren't going to make you stick the key in the door. Inbthe base Wrangler you have to because there is no power in the doors at all. No power windows, no power locks, no power mirrors, no wiring in the door at all.

up. Just read on Google that the dems are proposing a 12,500 point of sale rebate on electric vehicles under 74,000 if union made it the United States, the 74,000 is on pickups. Did I read that right.

pseudonym

Sep 16, 2021
MA
I think Ford made the Pro so nice that they'll lose out on the premium for would-be-XLT-buyers, who will instead decide that the Pro is 'good enough' due to the price difference.

I understand there are no minimums required for a Fleet Order on the Lightning Pro extended range, which is great! I made a personal reservation for the Lightning in May, but now I'd like to order the Pro in an extended range version. Towards that end, I just registered my company for a Fleet Identification Number. I'm hoping I can use my personal reservation slot but order through my FIN. Anyone have insight into this? Fingers crossed.

astricklin123

Aug 29, 2021
Dallas
I think Ford made the Pro so nice that they'll lose out on the premium for would-be-XLT-buyers, who will instead decide that the Pro is 'good enough' due to the price difference.

I understand there are no minimums required for a Fleet Order on the Lightning Pro extended range, which is great! I made a personal reservation for the Lightning in May, but now I'd like to order the Pro in an extended range version. Towards that end, I just registered my company for a Fleet Identification Number. I'm hoping I can use my personal reservation slot but order through my FIN. Anyone have insight into this? Fingers crossed.
What qualifies you for an FIN? From what I could see you have to have a business that either purchased 5 new Ford vehicles in the past year or have a registered taxi/transportation business.

astricklin123

Aug 29, 2021
Dallas
In some ways the Pro is actually better than the XLT with vinyl seats instead of cloth seats and rubberized floor instead of carpeted floor.
Although with the specs that they have released so far, you cannot get the copilot 360 assist level that gets you active cruise and lane centering. Basically what is included with the base Tesla autopilot. You need XLT for that. Blue cruise requires Lariat

Dannytas

Sep 9, 2021
CA
I like the smaller screen as well. It looks more "defined" in its space. Not like an after thought. correct me if I'm wrong. But doesn't the XLT have the 12" sceen too?