Serramonte Ford Here to answer questions

rdr854

Oct 19, 2021
Northern Virginia
I called Ford customer service at lunch time because my reservation disappeared from my account. After she verified that my reservation was still in place (May 22, 2021), the Ford customer service agent said, without prompting, that I should call my dealer on October 26 to order my truck. I asked if something official had been sent out because of all the confusion and she indicated that something was forthcoming. Assuming she was correct, I do not know what time the order bank will open.

I wish something official would come out to alleviate all of this angst and confusion.

RickE

Oct 7, 2021
Miami
I called Ford customer service at lunch time because my reservation disappeared from my account. After she verified that my reservation was still in place (May 22, 2021), the Ford customer service agent said, without prompting, that I should call my dealer on October 26 to order my truck. I asked if something official had been sent out because of all the confusion and she indicated that something was forthcoming. Assuming she was correct, I do not know what time the order bank will open.

I wish something official would come out to alleviate all of this angst and confusion.
We are less than a week away from the 26th. If it was going to open up on the 26 and you had to go to your dealer to order it don’t you think something official from Ford would have come out already? Don’t you think you would have to call prior and make a reservation with your dealer? Or do all 125K reservation holder simply show up at their dealer on the 26 and hope they can order it? According to some post on this forum some dealer have contacted their reservation holders about the 26. However, a vast majority have not contacted their reservation holders because there has been no official communication from Ford regarding the 26.

Bottom line, there has been very very little information that has come out from Ford since the May 19th event. What information we do have is directly from that event. I cannot think of one single piece of new information that Ford has released about the Lightning after the May 19th event. All the information we have about trim levels, specific pricing, options, standard equipment and order dates are all simply rumors.

Last edited:

Bill F.

Sep 21, 2021
California
We are less than a week away from the 26th. If it was going to open up on the 26 and you had to go to your dealer to order it don’t you think something official from Ford would have come out already? Don’t you think you would have to call prior and make a reservation with your dealer? Or do all 125K reservation holder simply show up at their dealer on the 26 and hope they can order it? According to some post on this forum some dealer have contacted their reservation holders about the 26. However, a vast majority have not contacted their reservation holders because there has been no official communication from Ford regarding the 26.

Bottom line, there has been very very little information that has come out from Ford since the May 19th event. What information we do have is directly from that event. I cannot think of one single piece of new information that Ford has released about the Lightning after the May 19th event. All the information we have about trim levels, specific pricing, options, standard equipment and order dates are all simply rumores.
I agree. Very frustrating!!

RickE

Oct 7, 2021
Miami

We are less than a week away from the 26th. If it was going to open up on the 26 and you had to go to your dealer to order it don’t you think something official from Ford would have come out already? Don’t you think you would have to call prior and make an appointment with your dealer? Or do all 125K reservation holder simply show up at their dealer on the 26 and hope they can order it? According to some post on this forum some dealer have contacted their reservation holders about the 26. However, a vast majority have not contacted their reservation holders because there has been no official communication from Ford regarding the 26.

Bottom line, there has been very very little information that has come out from Ford since the May 19th event. What information we do have is directly from that event. I cannot think of one single piece of new information that Ford has released about the Lightning after the May 19th event. All the information we have about trim levels, specific pricing, options, standard equipment and order dates are all sim

Don weller

I feel like Linus trying to convince the other kids about the great pumpkin. You just wait. You'll see. The great dealer will come out and announce the new Lightning is now available for all the good boys and girls. Then you'll see. Then you'll believe. You just wait.
The F150 lightning is a game changer for me. I have a 2019 Ram big horn with less than 3,ooo miles on it .I have been driving electric for 9 years I have had 3 chevy volts. The Ram with E took is a great truck, but if I could have bought an electric truck like the F150 lightning, I would have this truck.

Kiddushin

Aug 1, 2021
USA
I feel like Linus trying to convince the other kids about the great pumpkin. You just wait. You'll see. The great dealer will come out and announce the new Lightning is now available for all the good boys and girls. Then you'll see. Then you'll believe. You just wait.
The single best post on here since I joined. The great dealer knows our sincerity!

Don weller

Yes, that has been supported by several sources now, some of them being dealers, and the OP is a Ford Dearborn employee. Should be legit.
I read 3 articles today placing doubt on the order bank opening on the 26 October. If ford isn't going to open it up I think they should put out a statement as to why not and when they will open it up. This is the same BS.I ran into when I ordered my thunderbird back in 02. I think prospective customers deserve some concrete information.

MacMike

Jun 18, 2021
Texas
I read 3 articles today placing doubt on the order bank opening on the 26 October. If ford isn't going to open it up I think they should put out a statement as to why not and when they will open it up. This is the same BS.I ran into when I ordered my thunderbird back in 02. I think prospective customers deserve some concrete information.
Ford has never put out a statement of order banks opening on the 26th. Just rumors from people not associated with Ford. When Ford does announce order banks open we will hear from our dealers we picked. That's how it worked with my MME.

Don weller

I wonder where this came from.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210928-102758_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210928-102758_Samsung Internet.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 121

MacMike

Jun 18, 2021
Texas
I wonder where this came from.
It's a screenshot put up by someone. Ford has not publicly announced an order date. Ford is using the same method as it did for the MME. As soon as Ford announced order date for the MME my dealer contacted me to make sure I knew. You may want to contact your dealer to make sure they contact you once the dealer gets the official word from the mothership.

OP
G

Gloff

Sep 24, 2021
San Francisco
Gloff,

Do you expect range estimates to be finalized before ordering begins? Base Rivian ($69K) with 314 mile range and Lariat like interior is sounding better and better to me. Want to make an apples/apples comparison before I know which reservation to order on.

Sorry, I missed this question somehow. I doubt they'll be official by that time (whatever that time may be), but Ford is usually pretty spot on on the EPA targets they estimate. They know the procedure for EPA testing, and most manufacturers do the testing in house and report it to the EPA.

FWIW, Rivian will be a smaller truck for more money, the R1T(217") is in between an F150 (232") and the Ranger (210"). Despite the lack of information, I believe that the Lightning will be more polished out of the box. We've seen fit and finish teething issues with inexperienced manufacturers before. The Rivian has a great design, but I believe it will feel more like a piece of tech rather than an actual, capable truck.

GOFAST

Oct 19, 2021
Annapolis, MD
Thanks for the feedback. I’m
Sorry, I missed this question somehow. I doubt they'll be official by that time (whatever that time may be), but Ford is usually pretty spot on on the EPA targets they estimate. They know the procedure for EPA testing, and most manufacturers do the testing in house and report it to the EPA.

FWIW, Rivian will be a smaller truck for more money, the R1T(217") is in between an F150 (232") and the Ranger (210"). Despite the lack of information, I believe that the Lightning will be more polished out of the box. We've seen fit and finish teething issues with inexperienced manufacturers before. The Rivian has a great design, but I believe it will feel more like a piece of tech rather than an actual, capable truck.

Thanks for the feedback, but I’m not sure I agree with “more expensive”. A comparable F150 Is the Lariat with extended range battery which is more expensive than a Rivian. Rivian also has a larger towing capacity, horsepower and torque - both need their beds folded down for a sheet of plywood.

OP
G

Gloff

Sep 24, 2021
San Francisco
Thanks for the feedback. I’m

Thanks for the feedback, but I’m not sure I agree with “more expensive”. A comparable F150 Is the Lariat with extended range battery which is more expensive than a Rivian. Rivian also has a larger towing capacity, horsepower and torque - both need their beds folded down for a sheet of plywood.

I meant value, but of course, that's subjective to what you value in a truck. I haven't been able locate interior dimensions, but I suspect the Lightning will offer a lot more interior volume, which may or may not matter to you. To be fair, I also haven't dug through the Rivian's packaging and options much, as they're haven't been a direct competitor before the last two months or so, and even then, they're marketing to a different clientele than the traditional truck buyer (and Lightning is attracting that same clientele).

As for towing, I think 1000# is marginal at the max ratings we're in, very few people will even get close to that number with either truck. I'd be looking at an F250 if I needed to tow something that heavy on any kind of regular basis. Ford has far more experience in the truck building arena than Rivian. I trust Ford's towing and hauling experience over Rivian.

I haven't seen any of Rivian's engineering, but understand their founder is a mechanical engineer by trade and has experience with OEMs, so I'm sure its sound. I know the F-150 product in and out having sold them for more than a decade, and that is a bias I would need a lot more time to overcome.

I love the way the R1T looks, but have questions about their service network and quality. As with most startup manufacturers, Rivian has a long uphill battle ahead of them, and they're wise to take the Tesla route and start with a luxury oriented product as opposed to trying to lure in the average Joe.

MacMike

Jun 18, 2021
Texas
I meant value, but of course, that's subjective to what you value in a truck. I haven't been able locate interior dimensions, but I suspect the Lightning will offer a lot more interior volume, which may or may not matter to you. To be fair, I also haven't dug through the Rivian's packaging and options much, as they're haven't been a direct competitor before the last two months or so, and even then, they're marketing to a different clientele than the traditional truck buyer (and Lightning is attracting that same clientele).

As for towing, I think 1000# is marginal at the max ratings we're in, very few people will even get close to that number with either truck. I'd be looking at an F250 if I needed to tow something that heavy on any kind of regular basis. Ford has far more experience in the truck building arena than Rivian. I trust Ford's towing and hauling experience over Rivian.

I haven't seen any of Rivian's engineering, but understand their founder is a mechanical engineer by trade and has experience with OEMs, so I'm sure its sound. I know the F-150 product in and out having sold them for more than a decade, and that is a bias I would need a lot more time to overcome.

I love the way the R1T looks, but have questions about their service network and quality. As with most startup manufacturers, Rivian has a long uphill battle ahead of them, and they're wise to take the Tesla route and start with a luxury oriented product as opposed to trying to lure in the average Joe.
Ford apparently has seen enough value in Rivian to invest half a billion dollars in the company.

GOFAST

Oct 19, 2021
Annapolis, MD
Ford apparently has seen enough value in Rivian to invest half a billion dollars in the company.
I have reservations with both Rivian and Ford so im a fan of both. It’s going to come down to pricing and range for me. If I can get a Lariat F-150 lighting with 300 mile range for the equivalent price as the Rivian, I’m going the Lightning route.

OP
G

Gloff

Sep 24, 2021
San Francisco
For sure. I like Rivian a lot, and think it's wise to be critical too. I am critical about the Lightning as well, just for different reasons that have more to do with the tech side of the truck.

BD85

Nov 11, 2021
Does anyone know if a non-commercial customer can order the Pro trim with the extended range battery pack?

Last edited: