Towing a boat and dropping trailer into salt water and with rear wheels in the chuck

Mr.Martin

Nov 3, 2021
Washington
I just had this thought today. I have a truck now and in the middle of getting my things together to order this when available. Now wondering if I can still launch my boat in certain water

frunk

Jun 11, 2021
I don't know what kind and size of boat you have but the battery is in the middle of the truck. You have the spare tire in the back of the truck. I would not want salt water to touch any part of my truck. If you have to submerge the back axles to load and unload your boat you my want to maybe move the boat back a little or but smaller tires and rims or put drop axles on your boat trailer. I worry more about all these floods we are have now. Will the water get in the motor and battery and short them out?

pseudonym

Sep 16, 2021
MA
Frunk is right re: the battery location. Regardless, I think I'll carry a tongue extension in the truck, which will only be used at the boat ramp, not for towing. That said, I would even do the same for an ICE truck too in order to keep its rear end out of the salt.

OP
N

nuttalbay

Nov 4, 2021
Parksville B.C. Canada
Frunk is right re: the battery location. Regardless, I think I'll carry a tongue extension in the truck, which will only be used at the boat ramp, not for towing. That said, I would even do the same for an ICE truck too in order to keep its rear end out of the salt.
Thanks, that's great advice....I'll try the extension and I'm always carefully enough to use the hose right after it comes out of the water