Dealers not charging an ADM

Whitetiburon

Jul 11, 2021
Folks I am hearing some horror stories of dealers marking up vehicles massively as the supply and demand keep getting wider. Anyone know of a dealer with no ADM in CALIFORNIA??

Last edited:

Results

May 25, 2021
Oregon
You can buy your truck at the dealer price and if you don't like the truck just buy it and re-sell at a profit as there will be none available. Looks like a can't lose proposition.

astricklin123

Aug 29, 2021
Dallas
You can buy your truck at the dealer price and if you don't like the truck just buy it and re-sell at a profit as there will be none available. Looks like a can't lose proposition.
If you pay a dealer $10k over MSRP, you're talking a pretty large gamble that you'll find someone else willing to pay that much extra for one.

Results

May 25, 2021
Oregon
DB, I think you missed what I was trying to say. I would never pay additional dealer mark up on any vehicle. I was assuming that I would buy it at the suggested price, in my pricing model that would be approx 60,000. If I did not like it, I assume I could sell it for at least what I had paid for it and if I could make 10% that would be a good return on my purchase.

Pappabear

Aug 30, 2021
Dallas, TX
My dealer (Future Ford in Sacramento) stated that they are reviewing the orders and have not made a decision yet about charging a dealer markup. However, I checked the list of dealerships that promised to honor msrp for the Bronco and they were on it.

if you’ve already made your reservation (where you have to pick a dealer) and you find out later that dealer is going to charge a markup, what can you do? (Short of losing that reservation spot and having to make another one.)
On the Reservation FAQ it says that you only need to call Ford Customer Service and they will change your dealership and you keep your reservation number:

Reservation FAQ

Can Customers update their dealer selection for their reservation?

Customers may reach out to Ford Customer Support at (800) 334-4375, hours of operation is M-F 8AM - 8PM EST, for assistance in updating their dealer selection. In changing dealers, there will be no impact to a customer's reservation ID, vehicle details, or the associated timestamp.

Pappabear

Aug 30, 2021
Dallas, TX
Platinum Ford in Terrell, TX pledges to not charge ADM. From Sales Consultant - Nautica Vigil.
1630339388059.png

Kogi

Sep 5, 2021
San Antonio
Great posts. My reservation is at Northside Ford in San Antonio, TX. I just emailed the sales rep to ask this question. I'll let yall know the response.

Whitetiburon

Jul 11, 2021
This list should come in handy. 👍

It sure would be nice if you could place your order directly over the website and pick it up at the dealer.
Does anyone on this
This list should come in handy. 👍

It sure would be nice if you could place your order directly over the website and pick it up at the dealer.
Does anyone on this list have the Ford number to contact if you want to move your reservation? Who do we call??

memelnick

Aug 10, 2021
California
I'm planning to order my truck through Future Ford in Concord, CA. I've been emailing their GM who said that they won't apply an ADM to any ordered vehicles, but any stock vehicles will have a planned markup of $7,995 above MSRP. He thought ordering should start in November and expected deliveries will be in Summer '22.

Erik

Aug 28, 2021
California
I'm planning to order my truck through Future Ford in Concord, CA. I've been emailing their GM who said that they won't apply an ADM to any ordered vehicles, but any stock vehicles will have a planned markup of $7,995 above MSRP. He thought ordering should start in November and expected deliveries will be in Summer '22.
I wonder if people will still be paying over MSRP next when chip shortages are hopefully resolved. Tons of almost ready vehicles are waiting for chips to be shipped.

Did they say whether the down payment is refundable? I am worried that Ford runs out of the tax credit by the time I get my truck. I don’t plan to buy it without the $7,5k credit. If they expect to charge $8k over MSRP they are probably happy if people cancel their order.

memelnick

Aug 10, 2021
California
I wonder if people will still be paying over MSRP next when chip shortages are hopefully resolved. Tons of almost ready vehicles are waiting for chips to be shipped.

Did they say whether the down payment is refundable? I am worried that Ford runs out of the tax credit by the time I get my truck. I don’t plan to buy it without the $7,5k credit. If they expect to charge $8k over MSRP they are probably happy if people cancel their order.
I didn't ask about the deposit. My guess is it will be either $50, $500, or $1000. I figure when it actually gets closer to order I can then speak to the dealer about it. My guess is that unless the chip shortage is resolved immediately or Ford starts cranking out Lightnings like a WWII assembly line most people aren't going to see their truck until the end of 2022 or early 2023. I do think production will start to move faster by the 2nd half of 2022. I think Ford is (smartly) hedging their bets when it comes to timelines. I think their projection of 15k trucks out next year is incredibly safe...I bet they do more. It's just dependent on a lot of factors.

That being said (to your tax credit concern) I don't think Ford will get close to the tax credit cap in the next 12months. There's a very good chance that:
  • The tax credit may increase from $7,500 to $12,500
  • The manufacturer's cap for the credit gets raised as well (I think it's currently 200k vehicles. With 150k reservations, Ford clearly has the demand for EV's and will hopefully lobby Congress for the bump. Not to mention GM and Stellantis/Chrysler will start pushing out more EVs in the next two years)
  • These items are both contingent on the hooligans (on both sides of the aisle) in Congress to realize American's want to buy EVs! AND NOW. And it'd be nice to reward us with a tax credit if we do. ;)
When did you put your reservation in? I made my reservation roughly 24hrs after the announcement so I hope I'm somewhere in the first 25,000 reservations. Maybe I'll be able to order my truck next year? Fingers crossed.